Avoid Potential Double Taxation

  • Elect to be taxed as a “Flow-Through” entity
  • Simplify year-end tax planning
  • Avoid separate corporate level tax


An S-Corp Election is a tax filing to request that tax on corporate earnings be reported and paid by the individual shareholders. While people often refer to S-Corp as a type of corporation, an S-Corp is simply a regular corporation formed under state law that has elected a special tax status with the IRS. Most states recognize a Federal S-Corp election, but there are a few states that either do not recognize an S-Corp status or require a separate state level filing. The tax treatment of an S-Corp is similar to a partnership, with elements of the profits being “passed through” to the shareholder level.

These requirements must be met to qualify for S-Corp status:

  • Only one class of stock
  • Maximum of 100 shareholders
  • Shareholders must be individuals, estates or certain qualified trusts
  • No non-resident alien shareholders
  • Corporation year end must, with limited exception, be December 31

Launch by LegalShield will prepare all necessary documents for your review and signature. Call us now or click below to file for an S-Corp Election.

The process is simple:

  1. You provide us with basic information about your business.
  2. We prepare the IRS Form 2553 and any required state forms and forward to you for signature.
  3. You sign the forms and fax to the IRS for completion.
  4. You’ll receive approval notice directly from the IRS (and state authorities if applicable).

Get an S-Corp Election
Federal S-Corp Election only $39


1What is the deadline for selecting S Corporation status?
To qualify as an S Corporation in the present tax year, a “calendar year” corporation must timely file IRS Form 2553 with the IRS. If a corporation was in existence prior to the present tax year, then this filing must be submitted to the IRS on or before: March 15 of the present tax year. If the corporation is a “New Corporation”, then the S Corporation election may be submitted at anytime during its tax year so long as the filing is made no later than 75 days after the corporation has began any of the following activities (whichever is earliest): conducted business as a corporation, acquired assets or issued stock.
2What is the difference between an S Corporation and a C Corporation?
An S Corporation begins its existence the same way that a C Corporation begins its existence, as a general, for-profit corporation upon filing the Articles of Incorporation at the state level. However, after the corporation has been formed, it may elect S Corporation status by submitting IRS form 2553 to the Internal Revenue Service (in some cases a state filing is required as well). Once this filing is complete, the corporation is taxed like a partnership or sole proprietorship rather than as a separate entity. Thus, the income is “passed-through” to the shareholders for purposes of computing tax liability. Therefore, a shareholder’s individual tax returns will report the income or loss generated by an S-corporation.
3What factors are required for a corporation to qualify for S Corporation status?
The corporation must:
  1. Be filed as a U.S. corporation.
  2. Maintain only one class of stock.
  3. Maintain a maximum of 100 shareholders.
  4. Be comprised SOLELY of shareholders who are individuals, estates or certain qualified trusts, who consent in writing to the S Corporation election.
  5. NOT have a shareholder who is a non-resident alien.
  6. Failure to observe ANY of the above requirements could revoke S Corporation status at any time.
4If I have special instructions for my order, where can I put those?
Any special instructions regarding your order can be put in the comments section.
5Who should elect S Corporation status?
Owners who want the limited liability of a corporation and the “pass-through” tax-treatment of a partnership will often make the S Corporation election. In most cases, corporations that would benefit from S Corporation status are those who plan on distributing the majority of earnings to its shareholders in the year those earnings are derived. Corporations who plan on retaining earnings for future investments in future tax years often choose the C Corporation because under the S Corporation, earnings will be taxed as if they were distributed to shareholders regardless of whether a distribution actually occurred or whether the corporation retained the earnings for future investment.
6What are the S Corporation formalities?
An S Corporation follows the same state formalities as does a C corporation (i.e. filing Articles of Incorporation and paying state fees). However, an S Corporation must make a special tax election under sub-chapter S of the Internal Revenue Code by filing IRS Form 2553. In addition, certain states require that the corporation file an S Corporation Election at the state level as well.
7Who is the legal representative?
The legal representative is the person that will be the official contact person for the IRS. This will be the person the IRS will contact if they need more information or have questions concerning your filing.
8Do we need to give the address if the phone number is required?
Having contact information that is complete is very helpful to the IRS and will help make sure that there are no problems in filing your documents.
9Why do you need my Social Security number?
The IRS requires the social security numbers of all shareholders in order to file the necessary forms to establish an S-Corporation.
10Do I need to list all shareholders?
You must list all of the shareholders of the corporation. In order to qualify as an S-Corporation there can be no more than 100 shareholders.
11Why do you need to know my spouse's name?
This is to establish whether you and your spouse, if you are both shareholders, must be listed separately as shareholders or whether you can be listed together. This is required by the IRS.

This website gives a general overview of LegalShield’s legal plan coverage. The benefits and prices described are not available in all states and Canadian provinces. See specific details on terms, coverage, pricing, conditions and exclusions by selecting your state or province in the cart.

LegalShield provides access to legal services offered by a network of provider law firms to LegalShield members and their covered family members through membership based subscription. Neither LegalShield nor its officers, employees or sales associates directly or indirectly provide legal services, representation or advice.

LegalShield works with partners and affiliates whose websites are linked with LegalShield and controlled by parties other than LegalShield (each a "Third-Party Site"). LegalShield is not responsible for and does not endorse the availability, contents, products, services, or use of any Third-Party Site, any website accessed from a Third-Party Site and does not guarantee the content or quality of the products or services provided by Third-Party Sites. If you have purchased a package that includes a Third-Party Service, the third party may contact you by email or phone with instructions on how to access your benefits, and you may be required to accept additional terms that are located on the Third-Party Site.